Why do women stay at home and what is the most reason for this? The answer in many cases would be due to pregnancy, childbirth and raising children. Here are some statistics from www.infoplease.com
How many Stay-at-Home Moms does America have?
According to infoplease.com, about 5 Million in married-couple family groups in 2013. 24% of married-couple family groups are with children under 15 years of age. This number went up by 3% from 21% in 2000.
In comparison with other moms, the stay-at-home mom in 2007 was:
- Younger, 44% of women were under the age of 35 compared with 38% of moms in the labor force = a difference of 7%
- Hispanic, 27% compared with 16% of moms in the labor force = a difference of 11%
- Foreign-born, 34% compared with 19% of moms in the labor force = a difference of 15%
Without a high school diploma, 19% versus 8% of moms in the labor force = a difference of 11%
More numbers: There are about 10 million of Single Moms in America living with children younger than 18 years of age in 2013. This went up by 3.4 million since 1970.
Other possible reasons why women stay-at-home
In 98% of families, it is a woman who will stay at home with the children. No questions asked. The assumption that this is the case leads to some (common) theories:
- Women are better suited as a caregiver, therefore they have more of an interest in staying at home
- Women still earn less money than men (in most cases) and if it becomes an issue to take care of the children because a babysitter is unaffordable than the woman will quit her job without much resistance
- Unfortunately, we are still living in a society that will see mothers (this is still the norm) staying at home rather than fathers, no questions asked why
- Women are more guilt driven if it comes to the question if both parents are working may have a negative impact on their children and therefore will quit their job easier than a man would do
- Men are still being seen as the main breadwinner and feel mainly guilty if they can afford their women to stay at home with the children, because their income alone may not support the family.
- Religious and societal expectations can make it hard for a woman to join the labor force period
- Women also will likely take care of a disabled family member or due to an illness of a loved one and therefore will stay at home. No questions asked.
There is an advantage too for women to stay- at- home
Unfortunately, most women won’t see the advantage in what being a stay-at-home mom can bring to them and that it isn’t a total loss of not being out there with other women joining the labor force.
Be a part of it in building a newly improved labor force with working successfully from home. You have options and one of them right here is WEALTHY AFFILIATE.
You don’t need a credit card to sign up because it is FREE. You have two options, be and stay as a Free Member or become a Premium Member (see more details on the page “Getting Started“), the choice is freely yours.
Wealthy Affiliate is a good start to learn, to start and maintain a successful online business.
You can learn more about this platform by reading my Review on Wealthy Affiliate, which I am behind it 100%.
I am here if you need more answers. Please feel free to contact me.
© 2017 – 2018, Sylvia M.. All rights reserved.
Latest posts by Sylvia M. (see all)
- Important Steps to follow to work Successfully from Home - January 12, 2019
- Online Business Ideas for Staying at Home Women - December 15, 2018
- Why Wealthy Affiliate is the best Choice for Women to work from Home - November 24, 2018